A player down for a 1/4 of the match and 3-1 down did not stop TRUK from picking up the 3 points in the opening fixture of season 3 of the Goalposts League…..

TRUK arrived at Forest Gate school for our first match of the new season for an encounter against a new team called Star FC. We looked forward to coming up against some new players so was a little bit surprised to see that star was basically a mix of Stonewall FC and Queerspace FC and they even included a player who at that point had a TRUK Squad number so no introductions were required!

The opening exchanges were fairly even with both sides having chances however the best effort did come from the opposition but Heather made an amazing save. The deadlock was broken on 16 minutes when Lucy Copsey diverted a cross into her own net and shortly after an opposition players shot into the bottom corner to double their lead and we went into the half time break two nil down.

We pulled one back early in the 2nd half when Clark smashed the ball across the goal and it was diverted in only for them to go up the other end and make it 3-1. TRUK then had 2 penalty shouts the first for a hand ball which was waved away and the 2nd when Maysa nicked the ball past the keeper with her knee and was flattened. Yet again though as has happened numerous times in this league the referee waved our appeals away on what was a certain penalty. Things then went from bad to worse for TRUK as Lucy Copsey had the ball smashed into her face and with blood pouring out of her nose she had to leave the pitch and with no subs we were down to 4 players! This setback however did not deter us as we pulled one back through Lucy Clark from Maysa’s cross to make it 3-2 and game on! After 8 minutes Lucy Copsey returned to the pitch only for Maysa to get the ball smashed into her ear 45 seconds later and TRUK again were down to 4 players! TRUK however shocked our opponents as twice Lucy Clark fed Lucy Copsey who on the first occasion skipped past 2 defenders and the keeper to roll the ball home and then smashed the ball into the bottom corner to put 4 player TRUK 4-3 ahead! With minutes to go we conceded an underserved equaliser as Lucy Clark diverted the ball past Heather leaving her with no chance and the game was locked at 4-4.

With seconds on the clock Heather found Lucy Copsey who turned and smashed the ball through two opposition players legs to grab the 3 points for TRUK on what was an amazing performance!

TRUK: Heather E, Orlagh, Lucy Clark, Lucy Copsey, Maysa